Monday, July 19, 2010

What I Know for Sure

~
In the August 2010 issue of the Oprah Magazine, Oprah talked about best deals.

“I love a bargain.

Over the years I’ve bought cars and houses and lots of material goodness for my friends and family. I get a lot of pleasure from bringing pleasure, and I love using money to help others create a better life for themselves. But even the greatest gifts lose their value over time. I know for sure that the best deal is an investment in the things that will sustain your joy.

My best-ever deals are the ones that never lose their personal impact. Like deciding back in 1988 to skip taking a salary and embrace the risk of owning my own show instead. Or creating my own studio. Or building a school for girls in South Africa.

I’ve discovered that any deal that improves your life is all about getting better one day at a time. This requires paying attention to what really matters, and being alive to NOW. It does not require buying more stuff.

Not long ago I had an aha! moment on Rodeo Drive, riding in the car with Gayle and talking about all the fabulous things in the windows. I recognize that the real deal is to be able to see it, admire it, but not be seduced into acquiring more of what you don’t need.

I’ve taken the advice O’s creative director, Adam Glassman, offered in our March issue. Every time I buy one thing, I give away something else. I now have a box in my closet to collect the old every time I bring in something new. And when the box is full, I give away the contents….

This new habit has put a frame around mindless spending – and allowed me to see what a great deal I have going on every day. Adding to my possessions doesn’t fill my cup. Life is good without spending a dime.”

I have great respect and admiration for Oprah; I think highly of her work ethic, her talents, and especially her desire to do good with her wealth and talents.

Ironically (due to the general theme of this month's magazine) this August issue of the Oprah Magazine has a front cover depicting Oprah dressed in a casual outfit with the caption, “Everything Oprah’s wearing is under $100!” When I added the cost of all the items she was wearing, the TOTAL cost for her outfit was over $550!

I agree with many of the points Oprah makes in her article. The best deal IS an investment in the things that will sustain your joy and never lose their personal impact. Personally one of my best deals is just the satisfaction of living without debt. I realize I am VERY fortunate to be in this position, but I also believe it is also a “catch 22” in a good way. I have always lived far below my means which allows me to enjoy a debt-free lifestyle now. It helps that I have very simple tastes and have no desire to try to impress others with material possessions. I also thoroughly enjoy the simple pleasures in life – healthy diet, writing, creating things, photography, using the computer, enjoying time with friends and family, walking, participating in sports, and helping others. These activities are not only a source of ongoing enjoyment, but they are also inexpensive.

Having just returned from a trip to New England with Fran, we enjoyed a tour through The Breakers, a mansion built by the Cornelius Vanderbilt in 1895. The EXTREME extravagance and opulence of every room in this huge mansion was overwhelming, and no one could fully appreciate all of the detail. It actually dulls one’s appreciation for each individual detail. The experience certainly helped me appreciate the meaning of the phrase “less is more.”

I also like and would like to emulate Oprah’s habit of giving something away every time something new is bought. I’ve learned the truth in her statement “adding to my possessions doesn’t fill my cup.”
~

No comments:

Post a Comment