Monday, March 22, 2010

Happiness

~
By Janice Taylor

Happiness is a state of being that only you can create. Happiness is a choice that you make.

Abraham Lincoln once said, “People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.”

Be your own best friend. Enjoy your own company. Embrace everything about you! Without a doubt, it’s the most important step towards being a happy person.

Growing up as an only child, I learned to depend on myself, I became introverted, I developed a close relationship with God, and I learned to be comfortable being by myself. Although I’m usually hard on myself, I am comfortable being alone, and I usually enjoy this time.

Smile. Smiling releases serotonin in the brain, which instantaneously gives your mood a lift.

Being nice to others brings happiness. Simple things like smiling at a stranger and saying, “Hi,” stopping to pet a dog or cat, holding a door for a stranger, courteously letting another driver into your line of traffic, or picking up litter while walking, all make me happy and help me to feel good about myself. And helping others gives me the greatest satisfaction.

Sing out loud! Shut the doors and the windows tight, put on your favorite song, and let your voice ring!

Music itself can be uplifting. And joining in when alone at home, in the car, or in the shower can uplift my mood and outlook on life.

Expect a miracle. Believe that something wonderful will happen for you today. The universe is waiting to shower happy blessings on you.

We shouldn’t take for granted one second of this GLORIOUS life that God has given us! There’s so much beauty to appreciate, so much to learn, so much to create, so much to enjoy, and so much to share! I feel dulling this magnificent experience with mind altering drugs is a sin. Life is ours for the asking; we should savor each moment!

Meditate. Pray. Research shows that people who are spiritual tend to be happier and healthier than those who are not.

When I am alone, I am alone with God. I pity those who have no faith. As glorious as this life is, to believe this is ALL there is, is so limiting and depressing. When a loved one dies, believing that is the end, having no faith that this person is now with God, and having no hope that one day you will be reunited, has to be tragic!

Laugh at your shortcomings. We all make mistakes; none of us is perfect. Forgive your imperfections, accept your faults, and laugh.

I more easily accept others’ faults and imperfections than my own. In certain areas of my life, by desire for perfection or excellence sometimes makes it difficult to accept my shortcomings or mistakes.

Sleep. Seven or eight hours each night should increase your energy and decrease moodiness.

I am tremendously blessed with the ability to fall asleep VERY easily!

Take a cat nap. A 10-minute nap is all it takes to rejuvenate your spirit and get the happiness to flow.

My blessed ability to fall asleep so easily allows me to do this. And it always refreshes and rejuvenates me.

Count your blessings daily. Gratitude, the emotion of thankfulness, is one of the key ingredients for living a happy life. Make gratitude a habit and happiness will be yours.

I realize I am SO blessed in this life, yet SO unworthy!

Create a positive affirmation. Think it, read it, say it, sing it! "My happiness brings me more happiness."

Health also has a huge effect on happiness. Taking care of oneself increases the quality of life. Exercise and diet (avoiding the killer typical American diet) increases one’s health; thus it helps foster happiness.

Say “Good job.” Think it, read it, say it, sing it! "My happiness brings me more happiness."

Freely give others credit, and thank others for their kindnesses.

Catch happiness from others. Remembering that happiness is contagious, surround yourself with happy, positive people who share your values, goals, and dreams.

I try to surround myself with positive people. Negativism is contagious.

Look to the future. Set goals and then make plans to succeed and take action. Pursuing something we value always makes us happy.

For me, building things, creating things (writing, designing), repairing things gives me self-satisfaction thus happiness. Use your God given talents.

Accept what you cannot change. Don't waste your precious time, energy, or thoughts on something that is beyond your control. Let it go.

You can’t blame the past; accept it, learn from it, and move on!

Love everything! Love who you are. Love what you are doing. Love the person you're with. Love your friends and your enemies, too. Love! Love! Love!

One of the biggest blessings in this life is LOVE. Love your family and friends FULLY. And NEVER take for granted your loving relationship with your partner!
~

2 comments:

  1. When you love someone you want them to be happy...even if you are apart. I wish you happiness always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reference to your last sentence -
    if only both people in a committed relationship would NEVER take their partner/relationship for granted and, instead, would treat each other with the utmost respect and consideration that they show to others, there might be many more lasting, loving relationships in this world. Sadly, many people seem to forget the importance of that when it comes to those they love.

    ReplyDelete